- What is Autism?
- ABA Programs
- Speech and Language Pathology
- About Us
- NDIS Funding
Join the team changing the lives of children and their families every day
Begin your child behavioural therapist career with The Lizard Centre
Work at Australia's leading autism centre! We provide opportunities for you to learn, work flexibilly and make a lasting difference in the lives of children with autism and their families. The Lizard Centre is recognised as one of Australia’s leading providers of effective evidence based intervention for young children with autism and related disorders.
Who are we ?
The Lizard Centre is part of the Nextt Group. This group specialises in disability, behaviour intervention and mental health services. And we take pride in giving the next generation of those interested in a child behavioural therapist career the opportunity to grow and thrive.
We are a group of people who strive to do great work, make a difference and live meaningful lives. We’re the ideal place for you to build your child behavioural therapist career because we love what we do, do it to the best of our ability, support and help each other in constantly finding ways to be the best we can be and improve the lives of our clients and their families.
So yes, we’re passionate, and professional.
And also real, empathetic and human.
WHAT WE DO AND HOW WE DO IT
We help young children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and related developmental delays and their families. ASD can create a lot of stress for children and their families. We serve by providing interventions that help children develop the type of positive behaviours that lead to a richer life. We aim to take some of the pressure off their families by helping them learn new skills too.
How do we do it?
We use an approach with 50 years of evidence-based research to prove that it is effective. It’s called Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA). Whether you’re just starting out in your child behavioural therapist career or an experienced veteran, working with ABA is the best way to stay on top of current trends.
ABA is a collection of procedures and interventions designed to increase positive behaviours, teach new skills, generalise behaviours to new environments or situations, and reduce behaviours that are harmful or interfere with learning.
What distinguishes ABA from other therapies is that it is systematic and data-driven, and analyses are used to guide the clinical decision-making process. The effectiveness of this approach has been well-documented over 50 years. The approach supports that children who participate in programs based on the principles of ABA have been shown to make substantial and sustained gains in IQ, language, academic performance, and adaptive behaviour. The gains are better than those of children who have had no treatment, low-intensity treatment, or non-ABA treatment (for example, Peters-Scheffer et al 2011).
That’s why we use ABA as our approach and why we are committed to it, and why anyone building a child behavioural therapist career needs to understand ABA to a deep degree.. It achieves significant outcomes for children with ASD.
An exciting time in a progressive sector
The provision of early intervention services has gone through a big change over the last couple of years, mainly due to an increase in the accessibility of behavioural support for children and their families through the roll-out of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). As such, there is an ever-increasing need for what we do, and that means we need passionate people who are excited to embark on a child behavioural therapist career.
The great news for you is that working at the Lizard Centre (part of the NEXTT Group) presents more excitement, fulfilment and opportunity for you in building your child behavioural therapist career.
We are growing faster than ever, and that means not only will you enter a working environment that is fired up and passionate; you’ll also immediately be part of a team that is committed and focused on one thing: improving the lives of children with ASD/developmental delay, helping them get more out of life.
Work at Australia’s leading provider of effective evidence-based early intervention services.
Click to explore your career path at Lizard
Your career path at the Lizard Centre…
The Lizard difference…and you
What makes us different?
- Our Clinical Director is BCBA-D certified, providing top-tier leadership throughout the clinical group.
- You will work alongside talented Program Supervisors many of whom are Board Certified Behaviour Analysts (BCBA)®.
- As an ABA organisation we value research and evidence-based practices as critical to our clinical outcomes, and continue to engage actively in research, fulfilling the scientist-practitioner model.
- We train families to achieve therapy goals in the home and in the broader community.
- Nationally, we are a closely knit and energised professional community, providing a strong peer network as well as collaborating with the broader national and international profession This is a big benefit to your child behavioural therapist career – both while you’re with us, and into your future career path.
- We value inclusion and collaboration as an integral part of a fulfilling working life.
- We provide strong career pathways and are committed to your professional growth and development.
- Innovation is part of our ethos. We work using a proprietary purpose-built digital platform for programming, data collection and analyses.
WHY DO YOU WANT TO WORK AT THE LIZARD CENTRE TO BUILD YOUR CHILD BEHAVIOURAL THERAPIST CAREER?
- You love having people around you who feel the same as you; vibrant, talented people who are ever-exploring new scientific methodologies, tactic and interventions.
- You love collaborating and being part of a team, for example, peer supervision sessions with those that share the same long-term objective for clients.
- The opportunity to continually develop your skills through professional development through conference attendance and in-house workshops/seminars.
- You can see that there is something very special happening at the Lizard Centre and you want to be part of it, add your unique energy, talent and skill, and make a positive difference in the lives of children with ASD/developmental delay and their families.
- The chance to accrue BCBA/BCaBA supervised independent fieldwork hours that will keep you at the top of industry standards of excellence in practice.
- And you can see that by committing to building excellence at the Lizard Centre and within yourself, that there is a rewarding future with enormous potential for career growth at Lizard.
When I first began writing this statement I was really stuck, I guess you could call it writer’s block. How could I possibly sum up a day in the life of a Behaviour Therapist in one short paragraph? Each day in this role is completely different to the next and that is just one of the many reasons I love my job. I’ve always known that a 9-5 office job just wasn’t for me, I craved variety, excitement and ongoing professional development in my career. I knew I had found exactly this on my very first day with the Lizard Centre three years ago. I can’t summarise 365 days in my job within this paragraph however I will do my best.
I started with Lizard a little over a year ago and coming from a very corporate background, this was an exciting organization to become a part of. My knowledge of ABA was limited but it was fantastic to learn about, and it was even more interesting seeing therapy in action throughout the centre so that I could start recruiting Lizard Behaviour Therapists to support our gorgeous Lizard clients and their families.