Melbourne's Social Skills Program
Lizard Centre offers group programs which teach socialization and reciprocal forms of play. Children are carefully grouped by age and ability and range from typically developing children experiencing difficulty in master social skills to those with specific diagnoses.
Call us on 1300 752 617
We are excited to announce that we are now providing services in Brisbane
In Melbourne’s Lizard Centre, there is a new social skills group called Gecko Club
The program within Gecko Club will consist of 8 two hour weekly group sessions and weekly practice goals for home. They are designed to focus on individual social and school skills for your child.
At the completion of each unit data will be compiled and our social skills team will prepare a written progress summary describing the skills your child has learned during the term.
Gecko Club (3-5 years)
As children are gearing up for school, there are a number of group and social skills that need to be in place to set the child up for success. Gecko Club is an interactive and fun playgroup that uses an evidence-based curriculum and Applied Behavioural Analysis to teach school readiness and early social skills.
In Gecko Club, your child will:
- Learn fundamental skills needs for participation in group instruction
- Have opportunities for parallel and associative play with other children
- Begin to develop the early social skills needs for friendships
What skills does my child need to join Gecko Club?
The required prerequisite skills for Gecko Club include:
- Sit in a group for at least 2 minutes
- Speak in 2 – 3 work phrases
- Respond to Wh- questions such as “What is it?” and “What doing?”
- Able to follow 1-step commands in 1:1 setting
- Early fine motor skills such as pointing, holding a marker/pencil, drawing/colouring skills
- Early play skills such as block building and figurine play
- Toilet trained
What key skills will be addressed?
- Following group directions
- Responding in a group
- Transitioning to and from activities
- Early worksheet skills
- Parallel and associative play
- Identifying emotions
How will these key skills be developed?
Gecko Club uses a combination of direct instruction, video modelling, role-playing, discrete trial teaching, and incidental teaching to product data-driven results and outcomes for your child. The key skills will be taught through a range of activities such as circle time, play centres, arts and crafts, group instructions, group games and many more.
Our program curriculum includes:
- MODEL ME KIDS
An evidence-based method of instruction using video modelling to teach social skills
- SRA Language for Learning
A Direct Instruction language based curriculum that teaches basic language concepts, skills and language for the classroom in a group format.
Trained Senior Behaviour Therapists provide reinforcement and corrective feedback for each child throughout the group. Data are recorded and analysed for each session to ensure that your child is making progress toward his or her goals.